Saturday, June 25, 2016

May 2016

Sorry for slacking in getting things up to date...

May. May was a bit rocky. On May 3rd, I got a text from our GC saying she was heading to the doctor because of severe cramping and heavy bleeding. My heart sank. Things up to this point had been smooth and I was completely blindsided. I had been on cloud 9 and although I knew that things would not necessarily be perfect, the positivity instantly left. I was convinced she was miscarrying. Waiting for her to see the nurse was the absolute worst wait (Dr. G was out of the office). I ended up having a massive meltdown and had to leave work. As soon as I got home she let me know the nurse was able to locate the gestational sac. Her cramping was still intense, so they put her on an anti-inflammatory and told her to continue all meds. We originally had an appointment scheduled for May 5th so some of my uneasiness was pushed aside knowing we would be going back so soon. That feeling of complete helplessness was causing me to have serious anxiety. The fact that my hubby was on his way to South Africa didn't help either...

On May 5th, I picked up our GC and we headed to the doctor. Although her bleeding had stopped, I had prepared myself for the worst. I went back to that dark place and had no optimism. This was the appointment that I had waited for before the bleeding started, it was supposed to be when I would hear my baby's heartbeat for the first time. The doctor struggled in finding the gestational sac, there was a large sac of fluid (obviously blood), and he didn't want to add to her discomfort so he didn't try to locate the heartbeat. Dr. G wasn't worried and told her to keep taking the estrace and progesterone. I felt deflated and it took everything in me to not lose my composure. We made an appointment for the following week and left.

Those 7 days were torture. The bleeding had stopped and she was now experiencing "morning sickness". It was impossible to not get my hopes up! On May 12th, we both arrived at the doctor's office rather early hoping they would get us in sooner. I just needed to know. As soon as Dr. G began the ultrasound, it was instant- that tiny bean was right where it was supposed to be. The heartbeat was strong and I could finally breathe again! Our little bean was now 7w5d!!

Things continued to progress and by May 23rd, all meds had been discontinued. She was now producing enough progesterone and estrogen on her own which was a huge relief.

May was exhausting. The fear was constant and impossible to push aside. Every appointment gave me hope though and by the time we reached 10 weeks, Dr. G assured us that as long as things continued to look good, we could discuss seeing my OB at the next appointment.

It's safe to say that June was welcomed with open arms!


  1. So amazing! I'm still over the moon for you, Sarah!

  2. So glad everything turned out to be ok :)

  3. My goodness, I'm so relieved that all turned out okay! Those moments early on really can take a toll on the sanity though. xoxo

  4. Oh thank goodness! Waiting for another update and sending many thoughts and prayers your way!