Saturday, February 21, 2015

I'm not selfish.

So I'm sure you've seen the latest crap in the news...

"A society with a greedy generation, that doesn't want to surround itself with children, that considers them above all worrisome, a weight, a risk, is a depressed society," Pope Francis said. "The choice to not have children is selfish. Life rejuvenates and acquires energy when it multiplies: It is enriched, not impoverished."

I've now heard it all. Well Pope Francis, let me tell you a little something... Infertility was not a choice of mine. I am not choosing to be childless. Truth be known, I thought I'd be done having children at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm blessed that we are able to travel, have date nights and fun weekends away with friends, and simply enjoy one another's company. The thing is, I'd give anything to have sleepless nights and a kitchen sink full of bottles.

For the sake of being too offensive, I'll keep my real opinion to myself... But I will say this: there is not one part of me that believes having children isn't fulfilling. However, I do believe that the act of parenting shouldn't be so taken for granted.

Your view of "selfish" is quite twisted, Pope Francis.

5 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me of this article.

    http://thefeminineexperience.org/2015/01/21/pope-francis-but-what-of-infertility/

    You are not selfish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that, Heidi. It's a great article that a lot of people need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read this the first time, I was so angry. He just doesn't get how insensitive that statement was for everyone who is struggling to become a parent. There is nothing selfish about enduring fertility treatments...it's the farthest thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check out the link Heidi posted above. Unbelievable! I mean as if we actually have a choice here ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMEN!

    http://scrambledeggsinfertility.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete