Friday, July 11, 2014

the irony

My baseline appointment was as good as can be expected and I just got the go ahead from Dr. G. SO, stims start tonight (Follistim & Menopur). I'll go in Monday morning to check on my follies!

Have I ever mentioned how much I HATE needles?! You know, there's a little too much irony in the fact that all things fertility related require massive amounts of pricking, poking, and prodding.

When I was about 4, my pediatrician was concerned with my growth [or lack there of]. Many tests ensued and looking back, I'm not sure if there really was a "medical" concern or they just felt like torturing my mini-blonde-self (I vote the latter). Obviously I had tons of blood drawn on multiple occasions over quite a long period of time. You know what I remember? Having to be held down by more than 1 nurse, and BOTH of my parents. Hmm... I may have not been very tall (ok, I was always the shortest in every class growing up by a landslide), but man was I strong! After scarring me for life, I just ended up being petite (well duh, my mom is an inch shorter than my adult self, so it's obviously in my genes!). Fast forward to an emergency appendectomy in high school and I hyperventilated when I found out about the IV (not because they were slicing me open to remove an unimportant organ). I've almost passed out on numerous occasions after having blood drawn, and to this day, after roughly 250 needles (or more) during this super fun road to motherhood, I STILL hold my breath and often pinch myself as a distraction! Damn you needles, you all suck.

Okay follies, grow!

10 comments:

  1. But you're a champ and you'll jab yourself over and over until you get your precious baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except when I am in the middle of shot #2 and I almost pass out! True life! I won't be my own nurse anymore, I'll leave that to my hubby and my friend (when he conveniently is out of town!).

      Delete
  2. You are amazing doing these shots when you are so scared of them! It will be so worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you had a good baseline and you're off to the races! I'll be cheering on your follies these next few weeks!! You've got this! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best :) We have a total of 10 as of this morning, next check is Wednesday!!!

      Delete
  4. I too really really hate needles. But I am super excited for you start this cycle. Cheering you on and hoping your BFP at the end of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much Follistim are you taking? How are the shots going? The epi-pens really aren't bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm up to 300 iu as of yesterday (he started me at 225) and I have another check tomorrow morning. The epi-pens are MUCH easier than having to prep the Menopur- but the Menopur stings quite a bit! I'm starting to feel the side effects (headaches, being tired, etc.) but other than that, I'm just hoping these follies continue to grow!

      Delete
  6. You are strong woman! One day you're going to look back on all you went through to have a beautiful healthy baby and it will ALL be worth it. Glad to hear things are in full swing!

    ReplyDelete