Monday, November 4, 2013

genetic counselor meeting

So we met with the GC last Wednesday... I'm sure you know the scenarios... if the husband isn't a carrier, you are pretty much in the clear, but if he is... well, in our case, there's a 25% chance we have a baby that will have the genetic disorder. That's hard to swallow... 1 in 4 really is quite high [unless it's IUI stats and then 25% is just not enough...]. We will also have our future embryos biopsied if we are both carriers... well, that's hoping that we get a decent number of them from the upcoming IVF cycle. The GC was also concerned with the history of miscarriages in my family, so we decided to do chromosome testing as well. I'm so tired of all these tests... and I really wish I could see the light at the end of the [infertility] tunnel.

Now we wait for the test results. Waiting sucks. I hate waiting. I feel like that is the story of these past few years with this TTC rubbish. (I found out the EFT test results can take up to 3 weeks... seriously?!)

In the meantime, I've started the prometrium and my EFT is scheduled for next Wednesday. Have I mentioned how much I dislike biopsies?? Trying to get past the suck factor and focus on what the results will reveal... which at this point, I'm not holding my breath and have my guard up. Although I don't expect good news, you just never get used to the bad news. No matter what form it's in, it's never welcome.

8 comments:

  1. Funny how we can view the same 25% applied to different things as either too low or too high. Sorry you have to endure more testing. I didn't do the EFT but did chromosomal testing and complete genetic testing. Giving more blood and waiting for results is such a PITA. Just thankful we even have the option to do PGD, since that option didn't even exist when our mothers had us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not thrilled about doing another test, but it's what my new RE suggested and I don't know what there is to lose at this point. Fingers crossed for you right now!!!!! xo

      Delete
  2. I never like hearing stats. I feel like lately all they are...are bad. I hope that light at the end of the tunnel is coming very soon for you. Chin up. We'll get there. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree... I don't want to know them if they aren't going to improve my outlook! Thanks for your kind words, thinking of you right now, too- you have quite the clan of perfect embryos that will make you a very happy mama someday soon. XO!

      Delete
  3. (Did you get my first comment?) I am sorry you are going through this. :( Waiting and testing suck! I hope all good things come from your tests, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! I didn't :( Thanks, I'm trying to be optimistic, but when bad news seems to be the only kind I ever get, it's hard :/

      Delete
  4. Waiting does suck!!! I hope the wait time speeds up for you! I'm hoping and praying you get some good news that you may not even be expecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl, I'm thinking of you and your family right now. Lots of hugs xo

      Delete