Saturday, July 27, 2013

Bon Appetit!

Want a life changing (drastic? maybe... but I just love food. and Bon Appetit) summer chicken recipe?? Well do I have something for you then! One of my most favorite things to get in the mail is my monthly issue of Bon Appetit. I get giddy. Yes, seriously. I often drop everything and plant myself in my favorite reading spot on the couch and read the entire issue from cover to cover, gawking at the delicious photographs, and dog-earing pages of recipes I want to try out. Then, I get on Pinterest and add the recipes to the applicable "food" board so I don't forget about them when I plan our weekly meals. I get excited about these things... it's a sickness, I know. Now, if you're familiar with BA, it wasn't always user friendly for all levels of cooks. That's so NOT the case anymore! It's easy to find [most, if not all] of the ingredients in your regular grocery store and the recipes don't involve 1,475 steps. Now, on to what I've been waiting to share!!!!

Sambal Chicken Skewers


Ingredients:


  • 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons hot chili paste (sambal oelek)
  • 1/4 cup fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
  • 1/4 cup Sriracha
  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch–2-inch pieces  (boneless, skinless chicken breasts might work, but I really don't think they'll be as tender)
  • 1 small onion, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 green or red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
**the chili paste and Sriracha can easily be found in the Asian section of your grocery store or at any Asian market.


Special Equipment:

  • 6-8 bamboo skewers soaked in water for at least an hour (so they don't burn)

Instructions:

1. Whisk the brown sugar, vinegar, chili paste, fish sauce, and Sriracha in a large bowl. Add chicken, toss to coat, and marinate for an hour or two.
2. Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Thread the chicken, onions, and green peppers onto the skewers.
3. Transfer the marinade to a small saucepan, bring to a boil, then simmer and reduce for about 10 minutes until it's thickened into a glaze. 
4. Grill the chicken skewers, turning and basting with the glaze until cooked through (8- 10 minutes depending on how hot your grill is). 
**This was the perfect balance of spicy and sweet :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment